Gallery of Costume

Taking a break from sewing I visited the Gallery of Costume in Platt Field park along Oxford Road, just south of Manchester city center. This is a fantastic museum for costume and fashion, and having been countless times regarding various projects I'm always so grateful its on my doorstep. And its free entry!


Having known the museums collection pretty well I tend to just head towards the pieces I want to see for research purposes. In today's case I wanted to see their corsets and obviously pieces they have from the 17th century. Although their corsets are from the 18th cenury (see above) they are still a nice example of period underwear. I was particularly interested in their busks as I will be incorporating one into the corset I'm making. These are the wood panels (see picture two) that would be inserted into the center front of the corset.



Upon entering the room containing the majority of the 17th Century collection, the first piece to catch my eye was a girls jacket/bodice dated from 1610-25 (above). New to the collection, this is a linen garment is heavily embroidered with coloured silks, gold metal thread and sequins. Obviously the embroidery style is simillar to Vere's bodice, but it was also nice to see the lace/sequin detail at the bottom of this jacket which also seams to be present on the armseye of Vere's bodice (see below)
This woman's coif from 1600-10 (below), also use very similar embroidery motifs as Vere's bodice. I will defiantly be revisiting these when I come to start the embroidery.  
Another nice piece was a woman's bodice from 1630-40 (below). Here is a part of the description given next to it at the museum, Shown from the back, this bodice of white linen is embroidered over the whole ground in silver thread chain-stitch and metal spangles in a formal scrolling design.


Apologies for some of the poor quality photos!

1 comment:

  1. How fascinating to see those other examples in the Gallery of Costume - what a great resource. Just the day before yesterday I was pointing out that sequin and lace detail on the painting during an illustrated talk to a group of colleagues about the National Trust's 2011-12 acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete