Hi there! Sorry I've been away from the blog for a couple of weeks, I've been so busy with the costume I haven't found time to write about it!

As I said in the last post I have been wanting to incorporate a wooden busk into the center front of the corset I am currently making. Although I am by no means an expert on all the functions of these busks, I do know they help the corset to create a very flat front, which looks to be the shape shown on there portrait of Vere Egerton.

After lots and lots of searching on the internet, I was really struggling to find somewhere to buy a wooden busk from, as there aren't used in modern corsetry making anymore. Even when I did find some, they would be to long for the corset I am making. However, on the brink of giving up on the busk completely, I came up with the idea of trying to make one myself. I didn't think it would be too hard as all it is, is basically a rectangular shaped piece of wood, which tapers in towards the bottom. 
With this idea in mind, we took a trip to B&Q to get supplies and then we got to work. I have to admit that I had a lot of help from my boyfriend whilst making this busk because my skills at wood cutting are zero! I drew out a template for the shape of the busk in paper, which was then traced onto the wood. We used MDF wood, although defiantly not accurate to the time period, it was the most suitable wood for us to work with. After lots of sawing and sanding, all done by Matthew, with me stood next to him wincing, we finally achieved this...
The next day, after some more sanding, I dabbed some wood stain varnish onto the busk using cotton wool pads,to give it a bit more of a period look.

And here is the final product! I'm really happy with how it has turned out and quite pleased in the end that I couldn't find one to buy online!

1 comment:

  1. Demonstrating the different uses of good old MDF :) But then why not: Jacobean tailors and seamstresses presumably also used whatever was to hand and was practical.